A Brief History
St Joseph’s Parish came to existence in the year 1944, encompassing about 30-40 families. Rev. Fr A Fernandes who was visiting the town once in a month was assisting the people with the sacraments.
Around 1944 Christians from Tamil Nadu, then Andra Pradesh, Kerala and different parts of Karnataka migrated to Mandya in search of job in the famous Sugar Factory. They found jobs in and out of the factory, thus started to reside in the town. Presently the Christians’ houses around the factory are witness for this. Then, priest from Pandavapura was visiting to cater to the spiritual needs of the people. At this juncture Carmelite Sisters of St. Teresa came here for social works and started a school for girl children.
Since the religious Sisters were present and the number of Christians was growing priest was offering the Eucharist in the Convent Chapel which situated in a rented house in Ashok Nagar. Then, for the good of the people building of St Joseph’s Church was begun.
In 1946, the then Bishop of Mysore, Dr. Rene Feuga laid the foundation stone for building of the church. The construction was completed and blessed in the year 1962. In the following years as people increased in number and the space for worship was insufficient, then parish priest Fr. R. M. Colaco with the permission of the then Bishop of Mysore Dr. Joseph Roy started the construction of the new church. The church building was completed and blessed on 16, August, 2003 by the then Bishop of Mysore, Dr Thomas Vazhapilly.